Saturday, October 16, 2010
Penne with Leek, Smoked Ham and Asparagus
Original Recipe from the cookbook "The Classico Pasta Sauce Cookbook"
modified by Stephanie A. Quinn
12 oz penne rigate
2 Tbsp butter
1 shallot, finely chopped
1 leek, light green and white part only, washed and chopped finely
10 Asparagus spears, steamed or grilled, sliced on the diagonal, do not cook too long, remain somewhat crunchy
6 oz smoked ham, cut into thin matchstick strips (I used prosciutto ham from Costco-make sure to cook
1 jar (16 oz) Classico Alfredo Sun Dried Tomato sauce
salt and freshly ground pepper
1 tbsp fresh parsley or rosemary to garnish
1. Cook Penne according to package directions
2. In a skillet, melt butter over medium heat. Add shallot and leak. Cook until tender (recipe says 6 to 7 minutes-mine took much longer). I liked the leak coarsely cut and not fine.
3. Add Asparagus, ham, and pasta sauce. Simmer (do not boil), stirring occasionally. recipe says 2-3 minutes. If you are using the prosciutto ham-cook until it is brown
4. Season with salt and pepper to taste.
5. Toss penne with sauce and rosemary OR parsely if using. Serve immediately.
We used fresh grated Romano cheese on top, which added a nice touch!